Skip To The Main Content
Autonet Logo
motor legal expenses

What does motor legal expenses cover?

If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident your motor insurance will not provide any compensation for:

  • Any injuries you suffer
  • Any loss of earnings you suffer as a result of the accident (e.g. if you have to have days off work)
  • Other out of pocket expenses such as
  • Items that may have been damaged in the accident (e.g. mobile phones, tablets etc.)
  • Transport costs
  • Telephone calls

Motor Legal Expenses cover could help you with recovering the below from the responsible third party:

  • Alternative travel costs for commuting whilst your car is out of action.
  • Compensation for personal injury.
  • Loss of earnings.
  • Cost of replacing damaged possessions e.g. phone, keys, shopping carried at the time.
  • Access to a 24hr legal helpline.
  • Motor prosecution defence if you are accused of or have committed a driving offence.
  • Dispute regarding a vehicle sale or purchase and servicing / repairs not up to expected standard

Things you should know

  • Details of the third party at fault must be known to proceed with your claim.
  • There must be a reasonable chance that legal proceedings will be successful.
  • Legal proceedings must not be commenced without the Insurer’s permission.
  • Legal expenses or other cost are not covered if they are incurred prior to the insurer accepting the claim.

For full terms and conditions, please see your policy booklet:

For policies taken out BEFORE 28th May 2021 - Policy Wording (PDF 285KB)

For policies taken out ON OR AFTER 28th May 2021 - Policy Wording (PDF 355KB)

why choose Autonet insurance for motor legal expenses?

If you have an accident and want to claim for your uninsured losses, the legal fees can add up when using a 'no win, no fee' solicitor. While this does sound like you're getting a good deal, the solicitor can deduct up to 25% of any compensation awarded to you, so if you were awarded £2,000 your solicitor may deduct £500 in fees - leaving you with just £1,500. Why settle for 75% when you could receive 100% of the compensation owed to you by taking out motor legal expenses with Autonet Insurance, all for just £39.95 a year!

Our video guide below will explain why you could need Motor Legal Expenses Insurance:

related products:


More Info >>


More Info >>

breakdown cover

More Info >>

windscreen cover

More Info >>

excess protection

More Info >>

home insurance

More Info >>